Welcome on aboard SV/ JUCA

Our philosophy is to live in peace and harmony with each other and to have lots of fun doing it! We practice compassion and unconditional love and experience that there are no mistakes only stepping stones while we grow on our journey.



We have sold our house in August 2009 and moved from Mangawhai / New Zealand to Norfolk/Virginia to board our Sailing Vessel Juca in January 2010.



Juca is the name of our beautiful 60 foot Morgan, and the name is a creation of the first initials of our amazing inspiriations, Julia and Carlos.



I hope you all will enjoy reading our blog and following our travels around the Caribbean.



Thursday, August 5, 2010

Success of Homeschooling

This week we have taken a break from schooling, however Julia and Carlos still learn lots of new things every day.
I have figured that times have changed and instead of writing letters to the grandparents, they can email their Oma's and Opa's to keep in touch. Thus I have signed both of them up for their own email adress and this will be their first step to keep in touch with their grandparents and of course their current friends and friends to come. I know there is Facebook to keep in touch, but I would like to keep the tradition of pan pals a little bit. Long story short, I have arranged with the grandparents, that they will write to Julia and Carlos once a week and they have to write back. This brings me to the next subject that I would like both of them to learn, typing. So I have discovered a really awesome free webpage, that offers typing games and typing tuturiol, even I can improve my speed typing.


It has been now 8 month since we started homeschooling the children and I have to say it is amazing to see how much they have changed. I am very glad that I can wittness so closely there progress and the development. I must say it more work then I thought, but it worth it, thats for sure. Julia's reading is awesome and her love for books is increasing by the day. The way she participates in teaching and submits her work, great work Julia. Carlos questions are quiet tricky and very technical so I often have to ask Sven to answer and explain, which is simply great for the development between father and son. The other day he asked what the difference was between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke motor was, and they sat together and the way Sven explained it to him, beautiful to watch. Carlos also has developed a very creative side in him and the pictures that he draws are amazing. He draws with lots of details and passion, awesome, especially that I can give him the opportunity, support and time to explore this side in him. Keep up your loveley pictures Carlos.


I believe we all have come along way with our homeschooling and even though it is hard work and they both push and challenge me in their own way ....... I love every minute of it and would have not wanted to miss this great challenge and experience.


After a long summer break school will starts again in the Dominican Republic. So I am still eager for both of them to experience the schooling system here in Luperon. One of my motiv is to have a little break myself from schooling and children all day every day. However my biggest motiv is for them to learn and to pick up the spanish language and hopefully afterwards they will appreciate our teaching/schooling time together even more. Apparently I am a very mean teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment