Welcome on aboard SV/ JUCA

Our philosophy is to live in peace and harmony with each other and to have lots of fun doing it! We practice compassion and unconditional love and experience that there are no mistakes only stepping stones while we grow on our journey.



We have sold our house in August 2009 and moved from Mangawhai / New Zealand to Norfolk/Virginia to board our Sailing Vessel Juca in January 2010.



Juca is the name of our beautiful 60 foot Morgan, and the name is a creation of the first initials of our amazing inspiriations, Julia and Carlos.



I hope you all will enjoy reading our blog and following our travels around the Caribbean.



Sunday, June 6, 2010

Daytona and new friends

26th January 2010 we have arrived in Daytona Beach. It’s pretty warm and everyone is very friendly. The harbor master offers to take us for a ride into town if we need to do some shopping. I take him up on his offer on the same day; I look at some computers, because we have promised the kids a laptop to help with the school work and we visit a couple of other stores and then he takes me to Wal-mart, where I get everything else that is on my shopping list. I am very happy. While driving he fills me in on the history of Daytona. Very interesting; as we zoom past the racetrack I hear about the history of this famous racetrack right in the middle of town, I learn about the union of the white and black people, after the white business quarter has burned down to the ground back in 1920. He tells me that the usual population of Daytona Beach is 160 000, but in high season the population rises to nearly 2.5 million people.
We are staying in Daytona longer than expected. We are getting our motor fixed. The diesel pump, filter and pipe system and tank valves had to be replaced, not an easy nor cheap task, but had to be done and with the help of two friendly guys, on the 12th days we are ready to leave the harbor. While the guys were busy fixing the engine, we enjoyed the live music and happy hour. I did entertain and educated the children. We were lucky and met a few nice people in Daytona; Dolly, Aleatha and John with Scoop. John and his dog joined us nearly every day for a cuppa and breakfast. Dolly was so friendly and took us to the Dinosaur and Sugar Mill Park, to the race track, to one of the largest lighthouses of the States and went shopping with us. Julia and Carlos have started with their homeschooling program. We do math, spelling and read a book every day, and if we don’t do that we go out and learn about lighthouses, dinosaurs etc. One highlight in Daytona has been our visit to the Museum of Art and Science. Here the kids explored hands on how to bake and serve Pizza, how to build a roller coaster or a race track including a race car. We watched an awesome laser show and in general we all had a great time that afternoon. We had gone with the taxi to the Museum and were lucky to have met Althea there and her two boys Chaz and Reese. Wow, we got on like house on fire and she was like an open book about homeschooling and told me a lot about it that afternoon. She has been homeschooling her oldest boy for the last 2 years and boy did she knew a lot. I listened very careful to be able to take every word in. Her passion left a spark of passion in me. I will have to investigate this subject a bit more to get a deeper understanding of it. She offered to take us home and Julia invited her for a cuppa onto the boat  and we ended up having dinner together. What an amazing afternoon, I wish Aleatha and I could have had more time together.
In actual fact the whole day was very eventful. In the morning during fulfilling my duty as a boatwife  (cleaning and tiding the boat, schooling was finished for the day), Carlos came running back from the swimming pool and told me that a few ladies were having a yoga class in the lounge. I went there to have a look. The 6 ladies that Julia got friendly with the day before had booked the room for a private yoga session. I joined in and ended up doing a Yoga Nidra (deep relaxation) for them. Wow it was very exciting and nurturing for both parties…. I knew what I had missed the last few weeks and I was grateful for this opportunity.
Finally the day has come and the wind comes out of the right direction and we take this opportunity to leave Daytona to go further down south, towards Cape Canaveral. The plan is to be in Cape Canaveral on the 7th February around 4.30 in the morning, to see the launch of the space shuttle. The weather in Daytona has been a mix of windy, sunny, rainy, cold and warm days, we hope to escape this weather pattern the further south we are going.

No comments:

Post a Comment